We have wonderful news to share. After being closed for a week due to severe weather and flooding caused by Hurricane Sandy, the High Line will reopen on Monday, November 5, 2012.
We are relieved that the High Line's plantings, design features, and artworks are in great shape following the storm. However, due to significant damage to some of the park’s utility connections, the High Line will be operating on a temporary schedule. Until further notice, the park will be open daily between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
Follow us after the jump to learn more and get important park updates.
As Hurricane Sandy arrived in New York City, the Hudson River surged and spread to 10th Avenue below the High Line. The park’s underground utility vaults were filled with salt water, as were many other basements and sub-grade utility rooms throughout the Meatpacking District and West Chelsea.
The flooding damaged some of the park’s utility connections required to operate the High Line’s gates, elevators, lights, emergency phones, plumbing, and mechanical systems. After power was restored to the area, we conducted the necessary assessments, immediate repairs, and clean-up to ensure that the High Line could safely reopen to visitors. VIEW PHOTOS
Before you visit the High Line, please note the following important updates:
- Due to damage to the park’s electrical system caused by flooding in the underground vaults, the High Line’s lighting has been compromised along some stretches of the mile-long park. Accordingly, the High Line will be open daily between 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM until further notice. In the coming weeks and months, we will be working to fully restore the park’s lighting system and repair the damage in the vaults.
- Visitors can access the High Line via stairs at each of the nine access points, as well as elevators at West 16th and West 30th Streets.
- The elevators at West 14th and West 23rd Streets are not operating. We are continuing to assess the damage and develop a plan to repair these two elevators as quickly as possible.
- The High Line’s restrooms will be open daily between 9:00 AM and 4:30 PM.
- The High Line’s food vendors are now closed for the season.
- Due to the limited park hours, videos on HIGH LINE CHANNEL 14 and HIGH LINE CHANNEL 22 will be projected on a limited schedule. Follow @highlineartnyc on Twitter for updates on viewing times.
- For updates on park operations, please check back, or follow the High Line on Facebook and Twitter. You can also sign-up for the High Line Email Newsletter.
We are so grateful to our dedicated members and friends for helping us face these challenges and care for the High Line’s infrastructure. If you're able and wish to support our recovery efforts, you can make a contribution or become a member of Friends of the High Line.