Share A Meal: Fresh Tomatillo Salsa Recipe from The Taco Truck
On the High Line, our food vendors are always rotating their menus inspired by the changing seasons. Celebrate the final days of summer with The Taco Truck’s Fresh Tomatillo Salsa recipe, which will add a hint of acid and spice to your late summer meals. This delicious salad contains serrano chiles, a handful of fresh cilantro, garlic, a touch of salt, and plenty of tomatillos. This dish pairs beautifully with any grilled fish or as a burger topping.
Get your free printable Tomatillo Salsa recipe here. Snap a photo of your creation using this tasty recipe and tag it #shareameal on Instagram so we can see it.
Tomatillo Salsa Recipe
- 1 lb of tomatillos (5–6), husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
- 2 serrano chiles, stemmed and sliced*
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro (12 sprigs, roots removed)
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt
*Serrano chiles may be substituted with jalapeños
- Put the tomatillos into the blender first, then add the remaining ingredients one at a time. Tomatillos contain a lot of water, so when the blender starts, they liquidize quickly making it easier to blend the other ingredients into the salsa. Blend on a high setting until smooth (seeds will be still visible). Adjust salt content and verify that acidity is right. If not tart enough, add a squirt of lime juice from a freshly cut lime. The salsa can be made a few hours in advance, but no longer as it will lose its fresh, sharp taste.
Want to know about the delicious food The Taco Truck makes every day? Trevor St. Pierre, manager of the restaurant on the High Line, shares his favorite customer memories and dishes in this interview.
Got your apron on already and looking to try out another recipe? Hone your culinary skills with some of these cookbooks showcasing original recipes by our food vendors, including People’s Pops. and Paletas by Fany Gerson of La Newyorkina.
Check back on the blog in September for a seasonal Farro Salad by Terroir at The Porch.
For hours and locations of all of our vendors, see High Line Food.